Right now, hot weather vegetables are beginning to appear at Florida produce markets including different varieties of eggplant. My son picked up a few Indian eggplants at Clemons Produce. These are a smaller variety that is oval shaped and about two inches long.
We planned to roast the eggplants and serve these as a side dish. After cutting the eggplants in half lengthwise, these were prepared by drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling with smoked paprika before sliding into a 350-degree oven.
Watch the cooking time. The eggplants needed to be checked for tenderness towards the end of the 30 minute cooking time.
Paprika gives the eggplants a gorgeous color like a glaze. An attractive side dish, roasted eggplant is is easy to prepare and has great flavor. Japanese eggplant can be substituted if the Indian variety is not available.
- 6 – Indian eggplants split in half lengthwise
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of good quality smoked paprika (such as Chilquilin from Spain)
- Chopped Italian flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly coat the bottom of a roasting pan with olive oil before adding eggplant sliced side up.
- Season eggplant with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the eggplants with a good quality extra virgin olive oil before dusting lightly with smoked paprika.
- Roast in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes or until eggplant halves are tender all the way through.
- Garnish with parsley and another light drizzle of olive oil before serving