I planned on preparing Gulf flounder this weekend, but on arriving at the market, there was no whole flounder to be seen. Looking through the case, I noticed “first of season” Florida lobsters. It was an easy game day call. I left the market with fresh Florida spiny lobster in my shopping bag.
Florida, or Caribbean lobster is a warm water species that is not related to the cold water lobsters from the northeast Atlantic coast — often called true lobster. The most obvious difference is the warm water lobster does not have claws. Without claws, the editable meat in a Florida lobster is limited to its tail.
Lobster can be prepared by boiling, grilling, roasting and frying. In this case the lobster tail is split using kitchen shears and then broiled in the oven after topping with butter, garlic, lemon juice and a sprinkle of creole seasoning. A simple and quick preparation.
The lobster cooks in about 10 minutes. Here they are served with slices of Yukon Gold potatoes that were also broiled in the oven for about 10 minutes on each side. The recipe that follows serves two.
- 2 whole Florida lobsters between 1 and 1-1/2 pounds each.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon of packaged creole seasoning
- 2 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes sliced in half and then into 1/4” slices lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons everyday olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the broiler to 450 degrees.
- Rinse the lobsters and then twist and pull the tails to remove from the lobster bodies. Using kitchen shears, split the shell lengthwise and spread apart to expose the lobster tail meat. Place 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/2 of the minced garlic on the exposed tail meat. Squeeze the juice of a wedge of lemon over both lobster tails and sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the potato slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the potato slices on a foil lined sheet pan and place under the broiler for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove the sheet pan and turn the potato slices. Place lobster tails on the same sheet pan and return to the broiler for 10 additional minutes then check that the potatoes and lobster done before removing from the oven
- Place a lobster tail and potatoes on each of two serving plates. Place remaining butter on each lobster tail, garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.